Sunday, January 14, 2007

I may regret this...

This recent sock knitting kick I'm on, and the success I'm enjoying with the Mister Joe Blanket socks has prompted me to consider trying to knit with standard sock yarn again. I finished my Online Supersockes this afternoon and, although I should soldier on and finish the Mr Joe socks, I'm going to cast on Widdershins.I scored this Regia Bamboo on eBay after seeing it mentioned in a magazine ad. The ad said it creates a "temperature regulating, breathable fabric". I'm thinking it has the potential to be light enough for spring summer wear when it's too hot for wool socks. (Hell, it's been so warm here this winter, I've hardly worn my wool socks for winter!) The downside is, I don't like the fabric knit to the gauge called for in the pattern (7 sts/inch). I tried knitting a swatch on US 1 needles and got 9 sts/inch, which I really like. I moved up to a US 2 and got gauge, but the fabric seems too loose. So, I'm going to sit down with the pattern and work out the numbers at the smaller gauge. I just know I'm going to regret this. I'm not a big fan of knitting with such small needles and 9 gillion stitches. Plus, I'm going to have to knit this on double points (at least to start) because I don't have a US 1 cirular needle (yet, I just ordered one from KnitPicks). But this yarn is FAB, and I'm willing to give it a shot at the prospect of something awesome in the end. I'll let you know how I make out.

Speaking of how I made out...The plastic bag liner worked very well for the soap yesterday. As you can see, there's some fold lines in the sides, but nothing a little trimming didn't solve.This soap was scented with an oakmoss blend and has a lovely fresh scent. I used a little clove and paprika to color it, but not enough. I wanted a more light brown color. I even added some brown coloring to the soap when I saw it wasn't coming out dark enough, but still it's a little light.

No comments: