Saturday, January 13, 2007

The dreaded morph

Well, as I feared, the vanilla scented soap from earlier this week is morphing...
What started as a lovely creamy white is slowly oxidizing to brown. It's just at the edges so far, but this will spread throughout the soap. I'm hoping the browning is light enough that the blue swirls still show. This happened to me once before with a lavender vanilla scented soap. It started white with light purple swirls and ended up almost completely brown. Much as I love vanilla scents, I think I'll give up on them until I get some non-discoloring scent. The soap is perfectly usable, just not very pretty to look at.

I made a batch of plain castile soap on Thursday. It is mostly olive oil with just a small percent of castor oil to improve the lather.
This is shortly after I cut it. I had to wait almost 2 days for it to be firm enough to cut. Even now, the center is still a bit soft. It almost looks like marble inside. This will change as it ages and become solid cream color. There has been a lot of talk about 100% olive oil soap on the soap list and I've been wanting to try it for awhile. So far, I'm very pleased with the results. It's my understanding this soap will take longer than other soaps to cure, so it will be a few weeks before I can give it a try.

I made one more batch of soap today. This time I'm trying lining the mold with heavy plastic as suggested in Soap.
It's definitely more fiddly than freezer paper, but I'm almost out of freezer paper and wanted to give this method a try before I bought more. The soap is resting now, should know tomorrow how the liner worked.


1 comment:

Christine said...

Hahaha! You are more patient than I am - I used to use it the same day that I cut it all the time. I figured as long as I was using it only, I could take the risk. ;-) It will be better after it cures though.

The yummy vanillas are my favorites, so I always just had brown vanilla soap. You can try to hot process it, but it is still likely to go brown. I think BrambleBerry has some non-discoloring vanilla though - it has been awhile since I made soap, so I don't remember now.