Sunday, September 01, 2013

Crock pot apple butter

I've been wanting to try making crock pot apple butter since I heard of it earlier this year. With it being a long weekend and the summer rambos looking great at the market yesterday, I decided it was time to give it a try. I worked from this recipe, cutting it in half as my crock pot is rather small.

I peeled, cored and sliced enough apples to fill my crock pot. Added a 1/4 c apple cider vinegar and set it on high for 8 hours.
Here's how it looked at the beginning...


And after 8 hours...

At that point I stirred it and turned the temperature to low. I left it go over night and here's what it looked like in the morning...

I added 1 cup splenda, 1/2 cup brown sugar, a teaspoon of cinnamon and a dash of cloves. Stirred covered and let it go for another 4 hours...

It did not get quite as dry as I would have liked so I removed the cover and turned to high for another hour. Probably could have gone longer to get it thicker, but I think it's fine the way it is.

I ended up with a bit over 4 cups of apple butter and it is DELICIOUS. The recipe doesn't say how to store it but I'm going to freeze mine to be safe.

No comments: