Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Hobbit, An Unexpected Journey

We went to see The Hobbit yesterday. The Hobbit is one of my favorite books of all time and I loved the Lord of the Rings trilogy movies (I've only read part of that series). After I heard that The Hobbit was going to be released as a trilogy and seeing that part one was nearly 3 hours long, I was dubious about how it would be. I mean, the book is only a few hundred pages long, for heavens sake.

As expected, there was much, much, much embellishment on the part of the producers. It is obvious they are trying to turn this in to a prequel to their LOTR movies. So if you are a purist, this may not be the best rendition of the story to watch. The movie was excellent in general. Beautifully shot, lots of action, gorgeous music. Martin Freeman is an excellent Bilbo. Unfortunately it'll be another year till part two comes out and yet another until they wrap it up. Total excess that wouldn't need to be.

No comments: