Sunday, February 26, 2006

So the new knitting video came yesterday. Like a kid with a new toy, I immediately took the wrapper off and popped it in the DVD player. I watched the first few chapters while swatching the Magic Stripes yarn that also came in the package. I had no intentions of using the Magic Stripes for these socks, but it was so cute I had to at least TRY it. You can all relate, right? After watching up through how to do the heel flap, I stopped the video and got to work trying the technique. I'm using 24" size US 3 needles. One is a Susan Bates Silvalume and the other is a Boye interchangeable. It's great having two different color needles because it makes it so easy to tell which needle to use. The joins on the Boye are too bulky, though, and I'm having to work to get the stitches back up on the needle. They've worked fine for the other projects I've tried, but just not with the smaller tips. I ordered an Inox which hopefully will arrive quickly.

I'm using the kool-aid dyed KnitPicks yarn and am loving it! There's a nice gentle sheen to this yarn. It's soft with zero scratchiness. I'm concerned for how the heel is going to wear, though, being 100% wool and all. May try to find some of the wooly-nylon that's been talked about on the Socknitter's group to reinforce the heel. Didn't the colors turn out nice? I love the soft, muted colors. Not bad for my first try.


Finally, here's a picture of the Cottage Creations Tunic. Still not much to show. The Continental knitting is going quite well and it is way faster than English. Instead of getting 1-2 rows done a night, I'm usually able to get at least 3-4 in. I still have miles of knitting to go. But the yarn is really nice and it's great practice for learning Continental.

Two questions I received: First, the link for the baby sweater. Oops, I did mean to post that with the pictures and completely forgot. You can find the pattern here. And the info on the Opal yarn. It's Opal 6ply (6-fach since the label is in German!). The color is #1253. I purchased it from Shelmac/Fun Knits on eBay.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, the koolaid yarn is gorgeous. What flavors did you use? And which technique? Thanks!

Lisa said...

Thanks! Check out the post from Feb 20 for all the details about the dyeing process. I used generic koolaid (whatever Walmart's brand is) in Grape. Used very little aggitation so there's really nice light and dark bits.

alliesw said...

The yarn does look loevly--and so do the socks. I have a batch of that yarn, and I really want to dying it now! Thanks for posting!

AmyS said...

Just found your blog. Knitting & Harry Potter - what more could anyone want? Got you bookmarked. I'll be back...

(The soaps are pretty cool, too!)

pennie said...

was the video worth the price? interested in reselling it?