Friday, June 21, 2013

2013 Garden report

I feel like I'm a little late getting this post up this year. We considered not doing a garden at all this year after last year's disappointing season. But I just couldn't resist the call of nature and we've ended up with quite a nice setup.

In the long bed I've got onions and tomatoes.

This year I sort of blocked the main garden out a little bit in the Square Foot Gardening style, with all the plants in groups.

I've got 2 squash,  2 cucumbers, a boat load of peppers, both hot and sweet, 2 more tomatoes, 3 varieties of eggplant, a small patch of lettuce, a patch of spinach that did not sprout (will probably plant pumpkin here) and 2 rows of okra. Ants have been a huge problem this year. I'm trying to fight them with homemade bug spray which is working to a point.

In the far bed we moved our blueberry bush (which will soon have ripe fruit!), I also planted some Stuttgart onions (supposed good for storage) and a variety of sunflowers. I love sunflowers and can't wait for them all to bloom.

So far the weather has been good for the garden. We've had some good rain and nice sunny days. Hopefully we'll have a better summer than last year!

No comments: