Sunday, February 10, 2013

Morningstar Veggie Burgers



Recently I was invited to join a new Bzz campaign for Morningstar Veggie Burgers and I jumped right in. It was a no-brainer since I am familiar with Morningstar and know I would be able to find them at my local store.

I love a good hamburger. My grandfather raised cattle so we grew up with good beef to eat. However, now that C and I have more healthy eating habits, beef doesn't figure in to our diet much anymore. Chicken and turkey burgers are a pale substitute. So, we've turned to veggie burgers. Most, to be frank, are not very good at all. But Morningstar is a notable exception.

Morningstar burgers come in a variety of flavors. Our favorite are the Mushroom Lovers. They have a mildly smokey flavor and the mushrooms give them a more "meaty" texture. I wouldn't really call the flavor overly mushroom, though. We also like the Garden Veggie variety. The water chestnuts in these give an interesting bit of crunch.

Morningstar burgers are great for a quick lunch since they can be heated in the microwave. We prefer them heated in the oven or a skillet though (microwave can leave them a bit tough if you overcook them). On a whole wheat roll with regular burger fixings like tomato, onion and a slice of cheese, they make a great dinner.

If you are looking for a lower fat/calorie option for a hamburger and have possibly been disappointed with other non-meat burgers out there, you should give Morningstar a try.

No comments: