Sunday, February 03, 2008

Sock? yarn

The newly spun yarn has been wound off, washed and (almost) dried.It's gorgeous, even if I do say so myself. I absolutely love the way the colors blended together. The photos really don't do it justice.The final statistics: spun at 8.5 ratio, 4 oz colonial wool (roving from Hanks in the Hood), 2 ply, 216 yds, 12 WPI (about dk weight). I did not achieve my desired thinness, nor did the yarn end up as even as I thought I was spinning. But it's a huge improvement over my last handspun and I'm feeling a great sense of accomplishment. With more practice, I'm sure I'll eventually make my goal of spinning beautiful sock yarn. I read you need to use a higher ratio for thinner yarns, so maybe I'll try stepping up to the next ratio next time.

So what's the plan for this yarn? I've got to swatch it and see how the fabric looks, but I'm still leaning towards socks. I don't mind heavy socks this time of year. Especially since I live in clogs that can accommodate the thicker socks. They'll have to be toe up since the yardage is pretty small.

No comments: