Sunday, February 17, 2008

More fiber goodness

Thursday brought a lovely gift in the mail. Jen, from Hanks in the Hood, custom dyed some superwash roving for me. Isn't it gorgeous?!The color is called Peacecat and I love it. There's pink and purple, blue and grey on a creamy white background. I couldn't wait to try spinning it. So I put on a fresh bobbin and pulled just a bit of roving off the end to give it a try.
I'm able to spin it quite thin and consistent. There's a hint of sheen to the spun yarn. I finished my first 2 oz bobbin of the rambouillet/columbia cross this afternoon and went back to spinning the superwash. Actually, I think it would be good practice for me to switch back and forth between the 2 fibers since both are being spun a bit differently.

The colonial yarn is working up nicely as socks.
I'm using Wendy Johnson's Toe Up sock pattern, which I'm absolutely loving. My only concern is when I get to the bind off. I'll have to do some reading to find a nice stretchy bind off.This picture was taken a few days ago and I'm now past the heel. I had decided to go toe up since I wasn't sure how far the yarn would go. It looks like I'll have plenty of yarn to do my normal length sock.

I frogged the Katsara Tube Socks that have been on my needles since last summer. I finally got to the point where I just had to admit they were never going to get done and I was tired of having them suck the life out of me. I've come to the conclusion I'm not really cut out for patterned socks. I do much better with plain vanilla socks. And with all the funky hand dyed yarns I've got, there's plenty enough interest in the yarn I don't need to worry with adding fancy patterning. I stopped short of ripping the Jaywalkers, although they too are sole-suckers. But I do have one sock finished and the 2nd sock underway, so I think I will finish them someday. I'll have to find someone with smaller feet to give them too, though, since when I tried sock 1 on, it was a bit too tight.

I'm starting to hear the siren song of a sweater calling me. I've only been working on small projects since I finished Mr Greenjeans and I'm starting to itch for something big. Milan is the current front runner vying for my attention. But since I'm still on the yarn diet and don't have enough yarn for a sweater, I must resist. I did wander over to Knit Picks the other day since they're having a clearance sale, but I was good. I've made it this far, I can make it 2 more months, right?

1 comment:

Knit Witch said...

Here is the method I use for binding off toe-ups. I love it!!

http://weebleknits.blogspot.com/2003/05/stretchy-bind-offs.html