Sunday, February 04, 2007

Na na na na na na You say it's your birthday...

As of about 9:30 yesterday morning, I'm another year older. I managed to be off from work and despite a bad start to the day, it's turned out to be a pretty good one. I got some nice cards, some tasty chocolate and money and gift certificates to spend on yarn. I spent the morning at Brickerville with my parents. I found this cool milk bottle at the antique shop to add to my bottle collection.Scored not quite enough yarn for my Seamless Yoke sweater. 4 balls of Galway Highland Heather #712 and one ball #722.Edna would have ordered more for me, but with being into tax season now, I don't know when I might get down her way again. The Knitter carries Galway, so I can get the remaining skeins delivered. Although my original intent was to make the sweater much like EZ demonstrates in the book and video, now that I have yarn in hand, my plans are evolving. The Galway knits at 4.5 st/inch so using the Supermerino, which knits at 5 st/inch, won't really work as I had hoped for the yoke. Instead, I've decided to knit the sweater with hems, rather than rib or garter stitch bands. In this way, I can use the Supermerino for hem facings. I'm simply enthralled with the idea of having something so flashy hidden inside the sweater. What do you think?The body will be the brown color. This leaves the yoke. Problem...problem solved.
Traditional Scandinavian Knitting arrived from Amazon today. There are literally hundreds of pattern ideas in here. I'm already eyeing a few, but since the yoke is a LONG way away, I've got plenty of time to mull it over. I'll also have to decide if I want to use any other colors. I've got the ball of cream. And I do like the way these Scandinavian patterns look in just two colors. But I'm considering getting a ball of navy or maybe red just for a little highlight.

Today it's bitter cold out, currently 22. Quinn and I have been snuggled under a blanket all morning watching Doctor Who season 2. I just saw PBS has a Black Adder marathon on this afternoon, and DIY has a Knitty Gritty marathon this evening. Of course, we'll probably be watching the Super Bowl, but should be able to catch a few bits in between.

PS...title reference from the most excellent John Hughes movie Sixteen Candles. Farmer Ted sings the Beatles "You say it's your birthday" to Sam while seated in half a car in the school's auto shop. Yes, no better way to pick yourself up on a birthday than watching the ultimate birthday movie.

No comments: