Saturday, March 25, 2006

2 steps forward, 1 step back

The last 2 weeks have been most unproductive, knit-wise. When we last spoke, I was ripping the koolaid socks back to rework the holey short row heel. I reknit a garter stitch heel which is just fantastic. The photo is not the greatest, but you might see, I'm finally just about back to knitting the toe. Unfortunately, the carpal tunnel in my left hand has been acting up for most of the last two weeks, so the sock hasn't gotten much attention.

I have been instead, knitting on the Cottage Creations (never ending) Tunic. I'm in the black hole of knitting on this one. Knit five rounds, see no progress. You've all been there, I'm sure. But it's still pleasurable knitting so I'm not unhappy.


I also started working on the 3 Seasons Cardigan from Lion Brand (in Oxford Grey). I had about 5 inches knitted when I decided I wasn't happy with the gauge. I tried my gauge swatch with the
recommended 10s, but my gauge was too small, went up to an 11, but then I was too large. So I decided to just go ahead and knit the sweater on 10.5s. Alas, the gauge was still too small. I'm the kind of person who likes their clothes a little big rather than a little small. So not wanting to risk a too small sweater, I ripped the whole thing out and started over, now using 11s. Here's where I'm at today. Just finished the ribbing, ready to start the moss stitch body. I was afraid I wouldn't like moss stitch, all that switching back and forth between knit & purl, but it's not so bad once you get the rhythm going. I'm slower doing moss stitch in Continental, though, so I keep switching back and forth between English and Continental. I am staying faithful to Continental on the CC Tunic though, and am getting pretty darn fast at knitting that way.

More finished soap.
Please excuse my oh so fancy drying area, a cardboard box and needlepoint canvas! But, hey, it works like a dream. These are Pumpkin Spice (left back), Oatmeal, Milk & Honey (left & center front), Chocolate (center back) and Almond (right). Today I made Sage. Yes, I do seem a bit soap obsessed at the moment. I actually managed to sell a few bars, which made me feel inspired. I may list these up on eBay once they are fully cured. Meanwhile, I'm making plans for selling during the craft fair. Chuck has some neat packaging ideas to try. I've got a few more scents to make up then I'm going to stop for awhile. If we don't sell any of these, we will easily have enough soap to keep us clean for a good 2 years! But it keeps well and smells great, so no worries.


Only 2 weeks and counting until THE quilt show. Quilters Heritage Celebration is held every April in Lancaster and mom and I have been going for the last 5 years or so. If you are a quilter in this area, be sure to go check it out. Although we both found last year's show disappointing (too many art quilts, not enough traditional) it's still a ton of fun to attend. The quilts themselves are always beautiful and inspiring. Then there's the vendors. It's like quilter's heaven. There are easily, hundreds of vendors. Between the show at the Host and the little independent show across the street, you can find ANYTHING quilt related you could possibly want. Full report and pictures after the show!

1 comment:

Pennie said...

was just checking out your blog, I'm also working on my first pair of socks. I purchased the DVD also and find it extremely helpful. How are the pair turning out?