Sunday, February 06, 2011

Can you believe it's February already?!

Woosh...that's the last two months gone by. Things have been busy busy busy and I've not felt much like getting on the computer and putting down thoughts. I do have much to talk about, though, so here's a bit of what I've been up to.
 
The holidays were lovely, as always. Having both Christmas and New Years over weekends made for leisurely relaxing holidays.
I treated myself to the iPod I've been craving. I saved for a year and was able to get the 32 GB iPod Touch generation 4. I debated for the longest time if I wanted to spend the extra scratch for the 32 gb over the 8 and I am so glad I did. Not that I've come anywhere close to filling it...yet. But I am able to load up every single podcast I want to and the inevitable backlog of unlistened to episodes all fit nicely. I'm able to watch video podcasts on it so I'm able to stay more caught up with Round the Twist and the Knit Girllls.

I mainly wanted it for apps and I've not been disappointed. My favorite knitting app is Knit Counter. I use it for every knitting project that requires counting. I love that you can link counters. It makes it super easy to track pattern rows, increases/decrease, cable turns, etc.

Games are quite fun as well with my favorites being Zombie Farm and Angry Birds. I also adore being able to watch You Tube videos and surf the net. Not to forget the Kindle app. It is fantastic. I didn't think I'd like reading on the small screen, but the text is clear and very easy to read. Plus it syncs with my Kindle so I if I find I'm away from home and have a few minutes to read when I get back to my Kindle it will advance to the furthest page read. Pretty cool.
I can't remember where I was at with knitting the last time I posted. I recently finished the Bitterroot Shawl and it is gorgeous.
I need to get a better picture but I think you can see it pretty well here when it was blocking. I had a lot of beads left over. I don't think I missed any so maybe the packs of beads had more than I thought. The shawl was knit from Knit Picks Shadow in Cattail Heather with 6/0 Toho seed beads in Olivine.

I'm working on a pair of Monkey socks in Dream in Color Everlasting.
The color is a dark foresty green which I can't seem to capture. Everlasting is similar to Wollmeise's base. Not quite as cotton like. Extremely nice to work with. I highly recommend it if you can't get a hold or Wollmeise.

The Tardis socks are finally starting to resemble the Tardis.

These socks have been a bit of a challenge for me. Stranded colorwork is probably at the bottom of my list for knitting I enjoy. In socks its especially problematic because it has very little stretch. My first attempt at the sock wouldn't go over my heel. The socks are destined for someone with smaller feet than mine, but I didn't think it was worth the risk of them not fitting. So I ripped them out and started over with a larger needle and a concerted effort to keep the floats looser. The results are much better this time. I'm down to the solid portion of the sock which should fly by.

I'm still slogging along on the Shipwreck shawl. The beads are absolutely horrible. The 8/0 beads called for are far too small for the finger weight yarn. They are so difficult to move, my fingers ache every time I have to move beads, which is pretty much every time sit down to knit. So I'm lucky if I get a row done a week. I'm seriously contemplating ordering larger beads in the same colors. I've only done a few rows with the 6s and don't think the different size beads would be too noticeable when it's all said and done. I could save the 6s for a laceweight project.

No comments: