Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Generous

A few weeks back I as talking with mom about having found some old brown Pfaltzgraff dishes at the flea market. The pattern is called Gourmet. They are dark brown with a cream colored, often mottled band around the edges. My Grandma Miller had these dishes so they kindle a real sense of nostalgia in me, fondly reminding me of scrumptious meals at her house. The pattern is fairly easy to find at flea markets and not terribly expensive. So I've picked up a few pieces here and there. So I'm telling mom all this and she said she recalled one of my aunt's mentioning that she had a set of these dishes she wasn't using and had been looking to get rid of them. She said she would inquire if my aunt still had them and let her know I was interested. As luck would have it, she did still have the dishes and by further luck, my folks were planning a visit to see her (she lives a few states away).

So my parents got back from there trip and today dropped off the dishes. Now I was expecting maybe 4 or 5 place settings since my aunt had said she knew some had been broken over the years. So I was blown away when dad opened the car trunk and I found
2 boxes and 2 tote bags full of dishes. My aunt sent me not only the dishes but all of her serving pieces.My mind is reeling at the shear generosity of it.The pieces are gorgeous and I will put as much of it to use as I possibly can. Some of the larger pieces may have to be stored since I don't have much occasion for their use. But I guarantee each piece will be cherished.

When I asked my parents was she sure she didn't want anything for all this, they told me her reply was simply "maybe she'll think of me when she uses them". This, I promise, I will!

No comments: