Sunday, January 13, 2013

Clarisonic, one year later

In December 2011 I got a Clarisonic Mia for Christmas. I had been using the Olay face brush for awhile and liked the results. When C asked what I wanted for Christmas, I knew I wanted to upgrade to a Clarisonic and he graciously got me one.

I thought I had written a post comparing the two brushes, but can't seem to find it. Both do an effective job cleaning the skin and providing gentle exfoliation. If you don't have the funds for a Clarisonic, I highly recommend the Olay brush.

I love my Mia. I loved it from day one and still love it a year later. The brush leaves my skin feeling absolutely clean and energized. It's like a little facial massage whenever I use it. I don't use it twice a day as suggested in the literature. I used it daily at first but now use it maybe 4 times a week. It is certainly gentle enough to use everyday, I just don't always take the time.

Some cleansers work better than others with the brush. I have used it with my Burt's Bees Intense Hydration cream cleanser, but it really works better with a cleanser that foams just a bit (Organique Hydrating face wash is a good natural option).

My skin has never looked and felt better. It has helped my chronically dry skin become more normal. I think the brush preps the skin so well my moisturizer works all the better. When I go a few days without using the brush I can definitely notice a difference in the texture of my skin. The Mia provides the perfect amount of exfoliation to keep my skin looking great. I rarely feel the need to use face scrubs anymore, nor do I use chemical exfoliants (like AHAs).

Mine holds a charge forever. I only need to charge it once a month. This is a big plus for me since my bathroom is small and I don't have a place close enough to an outlet to keep it on a charger all the time.

I replace the brush head about every 4 -5 months. They recommend every 3 but since I'm only using it a fraction of the time recommended I feel I can go longer between changes. It is important to wash the brush head, and I think this is a step a lot of people forget. Just like your washcloth gets grimy from use, so does the brush head. I thoroughly rinse the head each time I use it. Once a week or so I remove the head from the handle and give it a good wash with Dr Bronner's peppermint soap. If there is any residue in the handle I clean that out too. Leave it assembled overnight to thoroughly dry and it's ready to go the next day.

All in all, the Clarisonic is my favorite skincare tool ever. The difference it has made in my skin is amazing and I never want to be without one. If you are on the fence about whether or not it's worth it, I can heartily say it is!

No comments: