Saturday, January 30, 2010

Another catching up post!

Oh my, it has been forever since I posted! So much to catch up on.

The holidays were fantastic. We had such fun visiting with family and relaxing at home. It was wonderful having Christmas and New Year's both fall on weekends. We all enjoyed our gifts. I gifted myself with a Kindle and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I debated the purchase forever. Big price tags warrant such debates. I was really afraid I'd end up with buyer's remorse since I'm not as avid a reader as the rest of my family. However, I have not regretted the purchase for a second and highly recommend the Kindle for anyone who enjoys reading on any level.

I've been knitting quite a bit. I finished the Stonehenge handspun BFL socks.They may just be my favorite socks ever. So soft and warm and the colors are delicious. The fiber was Crown Mountain Farms BFL in Stonehenge (I used 4 ounces for the socks, 3 ply fingering weight). The pattern is Twilight from 2 at a Time Socks.

Nearly finished the first sleeve of Skully (front and back body are both done).Love the skull and crossbones, hated knitting it though. I don't think I'm cut out for intarsia. The stitches look awfully wobbly. I'm sure hoping once it's washed and fluffed a bit it'll even out. And I just noticed in posting this picture there's a mistake on the right arm of the crossbones that's going to need fixing. The second sleeve is going to be plain or perhaps I'll put a stripe or two of white around the upper arm. I like the idea of asymmetry.

I started another shawl. Bitterroot from the Winter 09 Knitty.I'm knitting it in Knit Picks Shadow laceweight yarn in Cattail Heather. I've only got a skein and a half of this so I may end up with more of a shawlette. I do have a KP gift certificate (thanks Jen!) so I'm covered if I decide I want a full shawl and need another skein.

Still plugging away on the Vanilla socks in Salvia yarn. Those are my purse knitting and since we didn't really go anywhere in January little has been done on them.

I started a pair of 6ply socks in Fortissima Socka fair isle yarn. This yarn has been in my stash forever. Thanks to the stash diet it's finally seeing the light of day.

Knitters with a weak heart may want to stop here. Remember this sweater?The one that the collar wouldn't lay flat on and gapped and sagged if I weren't standing still as a statue for a picture? Well here it is now.Shocking, I know. I frogged the whole thing. Even with washing the yarn is a bit wavy from being knit up but I'm sure it will knit into a fine sweater. I love the color and it is truly one of the nicest acrylic yarns I've used so I couldn't bear to just throw it out. I'm leaning towards Bantam.

Spinning, not much progress. Working on superwash merino for a 3 ply sock yarn. I did switch to a poly drive band and have noticed a huge difference. I kept my hemp in case this one should break, but I have no intention of going back. The poly drive makes treadling effortless and so smooth. Tensioning is a breeze. If you can get a poly band for your wheel, do give it a try.

The stash diet is still going ok. I nearly caved a few weeks back when I found some patterns I wanted in a catalog. I did order the patterns and was tempted by the yarn, but managed to resist. I don't think I have yarn in stash that would work for either pattern I bought, but they will give me incentive to finish what I'm doing so I can buy yarn for them this fall. I did cave on the perfume diet a bit. I bought two designer knockoffs (Mugler Angel and Comptoir Sud Pacific Amore de Cacao). I got 4 oz of the Angel knockoff for soap making and it is fantastic. I had a bottle of the real thing years ago and loved it. Not sure what brought it back to memory lately but I'm glad I was able to find a much more affordable version!

No comments: