Saturday, October 29, 2016

Moonalisa Halloween 2016

I haven't had a Moonalisa haul in quite a while. I'm pretty well stocked on soap and such and have been trying other vendors. But in August I stumbled onto her site and saw the Halloween products were up. Still having some credit to use I decided to go ahead and place an order. Shipping was listed to begin the second week of September so I figured I'd get some soaps for Halloween. Two months (to the day) later I just received my order on October 28. 3 days before Halloween. To be fair, I do think she had her products to the shipping company somewhere around the 2nd week of September, but my order only shipped on Tuesday of this week (Oct 25) so I don't feel relying on her "shipping dates" is really viable any more.

The soaps arrived in a standard Priority Mail box. Gone are the days of pretty colored paper packaging. The box was stuffed with brown packing paper and the soaps just laid on top. There was talk on the Facebook page of freebies in the orders, but I did not get anything (nor did I get any freebies the last few times I ordered).

The soaps were a blind buy. As with most of her products there aren't pictures of the actual finished product on the order page...I buy based on scent description. The three I chose were Fairy Trap (Wild Raspberries, Boysenberries, Mandarin Orange and Tuberose), Halloween Hayride (Harvest hay, bonfires and dried leaves mix with amber, smoky sandalwood, and musk. In the distance you are anxious to get to back to the circle with the promise of roasted marshmallows, and other sugary seasonal treats) and Carnival Cakes (gooey glazed funnel cakes. Made of browned butter, caramelized sugar, dripping with maple syrup, & vanilla icing, topped off with  cinnamon and nutmeg spiked vanilla sugar crystals).

I am unable to smell any of them through the plastic wrappings so can't speak to what they actually smell like. The designs are pretty and (thankfully) not overly Halloweenish since I won't be able to use them before Halloween. I'll just display them with the labels turned away until they are used up.
I was surprised that all three soaps were different sizes and shapes. All of the soaps I have previously ordered were consistent slices that looked like they came from a loaf. The weights on these varied from under 7 to a hair over 8 oz. Previous bars all weighed over 9 oz. The Carnival Cakes bar isn't even cut straight.

I guess I'm being knit-picky but I am just so disappointed. I have been disappointed by the last few orders I placed as well and didn't post them. Looking back over my previous rave reviews here, I felt I needed to post an update since my opinions have changed some. Moonalisa does produce nice soaps that are pretty unique. I have a handful of soapers I love, nearly all cold process soaps, but I have yet to find anyone who produces the unique and beautiful M&P types soaps Moona does. Her scents are good, but there are tons of vendors with great scents with much better TATs. I'm not willing to wait two months for every order any more. Moona will always have a market and a following. The sense of exclusivity draws people in. She's definitely worth a look if you like the kind of goth/steampunk esthetic. But be prepared for a very long wait.

No comments: