Sunday, September 21, 2014

Pumpkin Spice Latte

If there's one thing that just screams "fall" it's Pumpkin Spice Lattes. Something about cool weather brings out the craving for this spicy creamy drink. I don't have a Starbucks nearby so I've never had the original, but I have had various versions from local coffee places and they are all quite good. But pricey. And loaded with sugar. Since going back to Atkins this year I'm really trying hard to limit my carbs so I decided to make my own PSLs and see if I couldn't do it low carb.

I found a copy cat recipe for Pumpkin Spice Latte syrup and tweaked it a bit. Here's my version:
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups Splenda
4 cinnamon sticks
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp nutmeg
2 Tbl canned pumpkin puree

Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan. Heat to a simmer over medium heat. Cook for about 8 minutes, stirring often. Cool. Remove all but one cinnamon stick. I do not strain my syrup (why waste that healthy fiber!?) but you could if you prefer a super smooth coffee. Transfer to a clean bottle and store in the refrigerator. Shake well before using. I use 3-4 tablespoons of syrup for my jumbo coffee mug (I like my coffee pretty sweet).

Next time I would use less cloves or maybe just leave them out and up it to 3 tablespoons of pumpkin. This syrup is delicious and makes a darn tasty PSL. The original recipes says it should last a month in the fridge, but at the rate I drink these I don't think I'll be pushing the shelf life! Using Splenda instead of sugar and adding real pumpkin greatly reduces the carbs and ups the fiber of this treat. Now I can enjoy one of my favorite fall drinks without the guilt!



1
  • 1 1/2 cups superfine sugar[4]
  • 4 cinnamon sticks[5]
  • 1/2 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
  • - See more at: http://www.copycatrecipeguide.com/How_to_Make_Starbucks_Pumpkin_Spice_Syrup#sthash.F2LcFaG6.dpuf

    No comments: