Saturday, April 18, 2009

Starting the garden 2009

I survived another tax season, hooray!! Now I'm seriously ready to get back to normal. The weather is turning a bit warmer, although the nights are still cool.

We've been able to do some work on the garden. We've doubled the size of the main bed, thanks in large part to my dad. After spending the last month and a half rehabilitating from knee replacement surgery, he was ready for some fresh air and exercise. So I came home one day and found he cleared the grass and rototilled the new bed.I was able to get the onions and snow peas planted this week. Like many folks, we are hoping to grow more of our own veggies this year. In addition to my usuals...onions, peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, squash and cucumbers, we are adding okra, snow peas, lima beans, garlic and pumpkins (the last mostly for Halloween decorations!) We'll need to wait another week or two to get the rest of the plants and seeds in until the nights quit getting down in the 30s.

We also expanded a small bed that has bleeding hearts and ferns to make room for a blueberry bush.This is a self pollinating, dwarf variety. It will take a year or two to mature to the point it will produce fruit, unfortunately.

Mostly I've got no knitting mojo at the moment. I've got a few projects going...the Colour Your Own fair isle (still on the sleeve), the horrid scratchy socks (thankfully well into the foot of the second sock), a pair of Nutkin socks that are now going to be mittens in Knit Picks Imagination yarn and a Christmas present (don't be impressed, it was supposed to be knit for last Christmas, really determined to make sure it gets done for this Christmas). I work a bit on each of them but nothing is really inspring me. I've ordered some laceweight yarn for a shawl, perhaps that will get me going again.

Instead of knitting, I've been reading. I'm trying to get through Breaking Dawn. As much as I enjoyed Twilight, I just can not get into this book. I think I've mentioned before, I'm not a Bella fan, nor do I really care for Jacob. The vampire thing is the only thing this series has going for it. Everyone assures me it gets better, so I keep slogging along. I've also been reading Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. Now this is an excellent book. It got me back into baking my own bread and what fabulous bread it is. If you love homemade bread, but hate the work, this is the book for you. Plus you can make small loaves so they get eaten up before they go stale.

1 comment:

Hanks In The Hood said...

The garden looks great! Feel free to send your father and his rototiller out our way!