Sunday, April 26, 2009

Garden inventory

Mother nature has turned up the heat so we took advantage of the sunny weather and got to planting the garden. Dad and I took a trip to my favorite greenhouse (Zimmey's outside of Schaefferstown if you are in the area) yesterday and stocked up on plants. He only picked up a few plants. He's more old school about planting things at specific times and whatnot. That's cool for him, being retired and all, he can plant at his leisure. Hubby and I both work so we plant when we have the opportunity. So far this approach hasn't caused us any trouble. So I bought everything I could. A whole garden's worth of plants and all the flowers for my beds for $20! You so can not beat that.

Once again, the long skinny bed is dedicated to eggplant and tomatoes.4 Dusky eggplants, 2 Roma tomatoes, 2 Beefstake tomatoes and 2 Early Girl tomatoes. I've also planted seed for a yellow squash plant in this bed.

The main bed has 2 varieties of onions, snow peas, lima beans and peppers planted so far. We will also be planting cucumbers (which weren't available yet) and pumpkins in this bed. There's still a good bit of room left in the center of the bed for something else, but I'm undecided what I'll plant there. Perhaps broccoli (although the rabbit debacle of last year has me shying away form that. Maybe another squash. We need to get the rest of the weedblock down. I'm only using it on the right side of the garden. I find it difficult to use around the onions and seed rows. But I do like using it where I can. It helps cut down on weeding and also keeps the stray cats from using the garden as a toilet (which they did last night in the uncovered area!) I think we are going to put up chicken wire fencing as well. It will at least keep the rabbits out if not the cats.

I started the okra seeds in little popup pots and they are just starting to germinate. They'll be planted in a bed on the other side of the garden wall. It used to be a flower bed, but I would prefer to put it to use for food.

And finally, the ultimate in hillbilly gardening...the Topsy Turvy. Aren't they the tackiest looking things ever? I'm a bit embarassed to post this picture but, yes, I gave in to the hype and decided to try the hanging tomato planters. The one on the left has 2 Tom Thumb cherry tomatoes and the one on the right has a Bush Goliath tomato. My mother in law grows her tomatoes over a wall (so they basically grown down) and they are the most prolific and tastey tomatoes you can find. I know her excellent soil is part of the equation, but I think the vines growing with gravity rather than against it could only be a good thing. I'll keep you posted if this actually works or not.

Still not much knitting going on here. Still working on the Christmas project, although the end is in sight there. I finished the horrid, scratchy socks.I do love the colors and they did soften up a bit after washing, so all is not lost. I'm sure I'll wear them. I ran out of the variegated yarn on the second sock, so the toe area looks bigger on one sock than the other. At least that'll be hidden in the shoe.

Here's the Nutkin mittens I was talking about.I adore this Imagination yarn. So soft and the colors are fabulous. The pictures don't do it justice.
Since I finished a pair of socks, I started another.
I received Wendy Johnson's new sock book in the mail this week so decided to go toe up this time. I have knit toe up in the past and do like the technique alot, except for the short row heels. Wendy's book offers instructions for toe up socks with gusset heels! Yay!! I'm using HiyaHiya needles and Red Heart Heart and Sole yarn. Love the needles (possible more than KP Options! The join is much nicer). The yarn is also a lovely surprise. I was a bit disappointed with Lion Brand's Sock Ease, but this craft store yarn seems really nice so far.

No comments: