Sunday, August 24, 2008

Focused

When last we spoke of knitting, I said I was trying to finish up my existing WIPs before starting any more projects. And, for once, I've remained focused and have made some progress towards that goal.

Cotton Ankle socks...
DONE. Although, they don't fit me very well. Cotton remains the bane of my knitting existence. They weren't terrible to knit, but first they were way too big, so I ripped the first sock when it was 2/3 finished and started over. Then I ended up getting them a bit too short. They do, however, fit my mom so all is well.

Jack socks...DONE, finally. These originally started as Jaywalkers. I knit the first sock and hated the way it fit. So I started over with plain vanilla socks with an eye of partridge heel. These fit wonderfully. This is my own hand dyed yarn. I loves the way the colors turned out on it.

Milan...
Nearly done. The seaming on this was a piece of cake. The yarn (Caron Simply Soft) has been delightful to work with. I'm a bit disappointed with the fit so far. I've lost a bit of weight since I started and think I may have over estimate the amount of ease needed for this sweater because it seems awfully big around the neckline. I'm still working on the portrait collar, which will hopefully remedy the problem.

I haven't worked on the one row scarf at all, but I feel
pretty good about finishing 2 pair of socks and having the sweater in the home stretch.

I treated myself to casting on the Socks That Rock Raven mittens.
I'm following the mitten recipe in the Fall 2007 Knit Simple magazine. I had a little trouble deciphering the instructions, but one I got going, these are turning out to be a super easy super fast knit. I love the yarn (Korppi is the colorway). I saw an ad somewhere that there are going to be new Ravens this fall!!

Flyingdales is officially the next thing up in the queue. It was a hard decision between it and Savannah, so I made hubby decide for me. I was kind of cheating...I knew he'd pick the cabled one. But still, I'm super excited to get started. It's also knit in one piece so it will be a good project going into cooler weather.

In other crafty news, I managed to do some spinning these last few weekends. Not much since I'm still nursing my bum heel. But the foot is improving and I've gotten the hang of single treadle spinning so some progress was made. This was spun from a merino silk batt that Jen custom blended for me. I'm calling the color Enchanted sky because that is exactly what it reminds me of. Spinning the fiber is heavenly. It practically spins itself. The silk leaves tiny white slubs occassionally like little bits of cloud stuck in the sky. Fantastic. I've got a bunch more to spin and then it will be knit into something special.

I'm still jonesing on the perfume oils. Everyone is starting to come out with their fall scents. I picked up 4 from Pixie Potions (Witches Brew, Winter Solstice, Ultra Violet and Sleepy Hollow). The service was terrible (took forever to arrive), but the scents are fantastic. I got in on a decant circle for the Hal
loweenie scents from BPAL (Samhain and Fearful Pleasure). Most of the scents didn't sound all that appealing to me so I definitely didn't want bottles of any of them. Those will take a while to arrive, but at least I knew that up front. I also tried some sample sets from Velvet Moon Bathery (Evening Shadows and Momento Mori). She has a very gothic style. Everything labeled in black. The scents are all strong and rich. But none has grabbed me that I need a bottle. Midsummer Muse is hinting there's a big announcement on the horizon (I speculate she's moving from Etsy to her own webstore) and that her fall scents will be out next weekend. SQUEE!! I did snap up a bottle of Guinevere since she alluded to some scents disappearing and I would be crushed if I didn't have a bottle of that one. And I'm still anxiously awaiting the Possets fall scents. There's been a lot of chatter on the boards about what might be in store. Alas, she said they won't be out until mid-September. Ugh!! But that might give my wallet some time to prepare.

To house my ever growing and somewhat unmanageable collection of perfume oils, I made myself a perfume box.
Cigar box painted with acrylic paint.Lined with fabric and cardboard strips covered with fabric and glued in place for dividers. I'm quite happy with how it turned out. Hubby loves it, says it looks like a potions box. I tend to agree. And in a way, they are like little potion bottles.

1 comment:

Hanks In The Hood said...

You sure have been busy! I am so proud of you for finishing cotton socks! I love the Jack socks and the Milan sweater.