Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Back to zero

Well, the counter is officially back to zero (for the record, I reached 107 days). I am indeed a week short of the end of tax season, but I deserved a reward. I FINALLY finished the V-neck shell. For such a small item, it took an obscene amount of time. A YEAR! That's just wrong. I finished more than 20 other projects in that time (mostly socks, but still!) And for all that time, it's not anything extraordinary to see.I am going to try to learn from my downfall here and stick to yarns I love to knit with. I will try to relegate my cottons to machine knitting or very small projects, like washcloths.

So what did I break the diet with? You are all going to be so disappoi
nted in me. I didn't end up going with any of the superwash wools I was looking at. And I knew better than to purchase any more cotton, no matter how tempting. No, I broke the diet with...acrylic. Caron Simply Soft Heather in Truffle to be exact. With the economy being such that it is, the price was certainly right. A sweaters worth for less than $30. I've used Simply Soft before for a baby sweater that turned out just gorgeous, so I'm confident this will not be a disappointment. My intention was to order it now so I'll have the yarn to cast on a sweater next week to celebrate the end of what has been a most disagreeable tax season. That sweater was all set to be Milan...

But then yesterday, these arrived in my mail box.Start Spinning by Maggie Casey and A Fine Fleece by Lisa Lloyd. I've only briefly paged through Start Spinning, but it looks like it is LOADED with great information about spinning. The page shots I had seen from AFF looked like it would have lots of patterns to interest me and it did not disappoint. There are lots of cabled sweaters and everything has that simple, classic look I love. I fear that poor Milan has just been ousted by a newcomer...Flyingdales. It's gorgeous. All cabled on top, roomy fit, and knit seamlessly to boot! I'm in love. I MUST make this sweater. The great thing about this book is all the patterns are designed to use either handspun or millspun yarn. I'm really hoping I can get gauge with the yarn that's coming. I'm not anywhere near ready to spin a sweater's worth of yarn yet. But if the Simply Soft doesn't work out, damn the economy, I'm going to have to find something that does!

1 comment:

Hanks In The Hood said...

You conquered the cotton. It looks great!