Thursday, January 24, 2008

It doesn't count against the yarn diet, it's not yarn yet!

Looky what came in the mail today! The fantastic rovings from Hanks in the Hood.
First up is the Lavender Cream. It's a rambouillet/columbia cross. It's really fluffy and springy. It puts me in mind of fiberfill it's so lofty. I envision trying to spin this as a soft single and making a hat.
This is Denim. It's merino and, ooo mama, is it soft. The color is quite a bit darker than what I expected from the picture on Etsy, but still very beautiful and definitely denim like. I almost didn't get it because I've heard merino is a difficult fiber for beginners to spin. But, the whole "start like you mean it" spirit said, what the heck. I don't have to spin it now while I'm still learning. I'm sure it will age just fine in stash. At the moment, no plans for what this might become.

I'm still spinning along on the colonial wool. So far, I'm very pleased with the
singles I'm producing. The thickness is fairly even and quite thin. I'm afraid it's actually going to be a bit too thin for the 2 ply I had hoped to make. I like a slightly heavier sock yarn, so I'm thinking I'm going to end up doing a 3 ply. As to whether I navajo ply or do a straight 3 ply, I'm not sure yet. I had divided the roving in 2 when I started, so dividing now to get 3 equal bobbins would be a bit difficult, not impossible, but difficult. And I only have 3 bobbins at the moment, so I'd have to off-load the singles some how before plying. There's lots of info on how do to all these things on Ravelry so I'll be able to research it as I decide what I want to do. I'll try to get some pictures this weekend of my progress.

My husband and I love to watch the birds in the yard. And so do the cats! So we put birdseed out around our deck every day. The other morning, I noticed Quinn staring out the window, much more intently than usual. As I got closer I could see why. There was a hawk sitting on the rail. I tried to get a picture, but by the time I got back with the camera, it had moved to the wash pole so the picture is pretty fuzzy.
We're pretty sure it's a Cooper's hawk. It was in the yard last week, as well, but not close enough that we could identify it. It's a truly beautiful bird, but not a good thing to have around when you are trying to attract little birds to your yard.

1 comment:

Knit Witch said...

Yummy not-yet-yarn!!!

We have several hawks around here. We love being able to catch glimpses of them now and then. Funny because you can tell when one is around because the back yard becomes SILENT! We have lots of birds and squirrels (as we too put out lots of seed) so when all is quiet back there you know something is up!