Saturday, September 15, 2007

V-neck Cardigan

The weather turned delightfully cool yesterday and I was inspired to finish the V-neck Cardigan. I picked up stitches all around the front opening and knit a garter stitch band.The pattern called for knitting a ribbed band separately and then sewing it on. And although I've come to terms with seaming my knitting, it certainly isn't my favorite activity and I avoid it whenever possible. I designed the pattern myself with the help of the Knitware software. It is knit from Lion Brand Wool Ease in Oxford Grey. I think I used 5 or 6 skeins. I'm not sure since the yarn was salvaged from another project that didn't work out. The buttons are from Jo-Ann Fabrics.I love the purple color against the grey sweater. I may have to stitch the buttonholes closed just a bit. 3 stitch holes didn't seem quite big enough so I went with 4 stitch buttonholes which are just a hair too big. The fit is just about perfect except for the bottom.The pattern called for decreasing a number of stitches before starting the ribbing. In hindsight, I should have left those stitches in. However, I steamed the bottom ribbing and that seemed to relax the acrylic content enough so I can at least button all the buttons and it looks pretty good. This was a super quick and easy pattern, especially since the majority was machine knit. I will probably make this pattern again.

I've been splitting my evenings between reading the Cat Who books (I'm up to The Cat Who Played Post Office), knitting on the summer shell (which is now destined to be a fall vest) and punching on the ghost picture. I cast on a belt last night from some of the New Zealand wool I hand dyed.
This should go quickly. 7 stitches in garter stitch. I'm going to felt it slightly when it's done for durability.

The new Knitty is out. I've totally fallen in love with Mr. Greenjeans. I'm not sure what it is about this little cardigan that I love so much. I think it's all the cabling. She even incorporated the cables into the sleeve ribbing. Awesome. I've got so many projects in queue, but I may just have to knit this one next. At the moment I don't have yarn in my stash that would work, though, and am flat broke so I can't buy new yarn. So it will have to wait at least for awhile.

No comments: