Saturday, August 25, 2007

Summer is back with a vengeance this weekend. It was cool and rainy last weekend and it felt like fall might be right around the corner. But today the thermometer outside my window reads 96 degrees. Ugh! And the humidity is just downright oppressive. Luckily, the air conditioner is doing it's job to keep it bearable and it's supposed to be only in the 80's tomorrow.

Not much to blog about. Just a few FOs to share.

Mrs Beeton
Glorious! I absolutely love these.
I can't wait for fall to get here to wear these. The yarn is from Elann. Super Kydd in Ice Blue is the whisper soft mohair and Peruvian Quechua in Dusky Lavender is an alpaca tencel blend. I ended up getting blue 11/0 beads for the top cuff and used the purple 8/0 for the bottom cuff. You can barely see the beads in the picture, but they are a great subtle accent and definitely worth the effort to do the beading. Some people leave the beads off, but i think they make the cuffs so much more elegant. I did not enjoy knitting with the mohair at all, but once past that point, these were a super easy and fast project to knit.

Here's my first finished punchneedle embroidery project finished.
I'm very pleased with the results. This is a super easy craft and the results are impressive. But I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. Probably frame it. I've just found that DMC makes a wool floss (this was done with standard DMC cotton embroidery floss). I've got to get my hands on the wool. I think it will give an even more folk feel to the designs.

I used up the last of my soap supplies making 2 batches of soap
On the right a batch of lavender with my own dried lavender adorning the tops and on the left a highly experimental batch of almond soap made with the leftovers of all the oils I had. I weighed the oils and plugged it into a soap calculator to determine how much lye to use. The bars are really quite nice at this stage. I'm going to let them cure for a few weeks before giving them a try. I just placed an order for more oils. I've been having a dickens of a time finding oils at a decent price around here lately. I decided to try this place since their prices seem good and they were recommended on a podcast I just listened to. I'll let you know how I make out.

I've resisted the urge to cast on another pair of socks. I'm going to make a concerted effort to get some of my WIPs finished up. Of the 2 tanks I intended to knit for this summer, I'm still not even finished with the back of the first one! I've gotten a few inches on the Montery Bay Scarf, but still have a very long way to go on it. And the cardigan needs only to have the front band picked up and knit. The tank will probably win out for this weekend since it's cotton and will be cool knitting.

1 comment:

Bibliocat said...

Lisa, those cuffs are beautiful. What would you wear them with?

I gave a bar or lavender soap to one of my good teacher friend and she loves it. I said it is to help when a teaching day gets toooo stressful. I added a lavender candle that I found at a local shop to complete the bath time stress relief set.

It is amazing how old crafts come back into style. I remember one of my aunts making a punchneedle rug. I bet she still has it.

I am eying up another small bag for my dish/wash cloth projects but I have to wait for payday...lol.
Take care.
Sheryl