Sunday, January 22, 2006

Decision made

Sometimes when choices come along, fate makes the decision for you. As predicted, I finished the Pines sock on Friday.
Looks pretty good. As soon as the last end was woven in I slipped it on my foot. Ugh, it's HUGE! I did a gauge swatch before I started, 7 st/inch. I followed the pattern, 64 stitches. What I didn't do was the math. 64 stitches at 7 stitches per inch is a bit over 9 inches. My foot is 8. Bummer. Many nice ladies over on the Sockknitters group offered words of encouragement. Some suggested frogging and reknitting. One suggested knitting the second sock and entering them into a sock swap (there's bound to be someone with a larger foot that can use them.) My solution was to stick the sock and it's partner's yarn back in the stash box and start this...
Opal heals all wounds. This time I did a gauge swatch AND did my own math. I didn't want to risk messing up this expensive yarn! The $3 Woolease is no great loss, but $18 worth of wool is too much to mess around with! The patterning is really cool. The wool is soft and not at all scratchy.


I also cast on the Cottage Creations Tunic.
This is going to be a lot of knitting. The body is knit in the round, all in one piece, then the sleeves are picked up and knit down from the shoulders. The yarn is gorgeous. It's the wool/alpaca blend from Elann. The color is a rich, evergreen with flecks of blue. I bought a ball of tan for a contrasting collar, but I'm not sure if I'll do it or not. I'm pretty scared of color knitting unless someone else has thought it all out. Don't trust my own tastes here. I'm forever away from the collar, though, so I won't have to think about it for weeks.

Finally, some kitty goodness.

Here's Stuart supervising while I take the blog pictures. He and Quinn love to sit in this window. It's south facing so always sunny and warm.

1 comment:

Judi said...

Hi, Lisa. Clicked on your link in your Socknitter's post. Thanks for reminding me about those lucious Primal Elements soaps. I love the candles, too. Since we moved back to Cleveland from Indianapolis, I never seem to see them anywhere. And their site's "where to buy" links aren't working, so I'll have to check back another time. I enjoyed your postings and I'll be back!

Judi in Cleveland