Monday, December 19, 2005

Not so divine

Well, my Divinity left much to be desired. Everyone talks about how hard it is to make Divinity. Since I made it once before with absolutely no trouble, I've pretty much poo-pooed all this talk. Apparently, the Divinity gods did not like my attitude and decided to teach me a lesson. After 45 minutes of waiting for the boiling sugar to come up to temperature, I finally decide my thermometer must be wrong and proceeded with the recipe. Well, lets just say I have a lovely batch of sweetened floor tiles rather than nice fluffy candy.

I more or less redeemed myself with a batch of cocoa fudge. But the thermometer didn't seem to be work properly with that process either. Guess I better pick up a new candy thermometer when I'm out.

We went to dad's Christmas cantata at church last night. The program was called Journey of Promises. It was a great concert. They had a live ensemble to accompany them this year instead of prerecorded music. They really added the extra umph. You just can't beat live instruments at a Christmas concert. The bell choir didn't perform this year, which was a little disappointing, but a wonderful night all the same.

Here is Quinn, enjoying the cat bed I knitted for her last month. As you can see, it's way too small, doesn't really cradle her so much as just gives her a warm pad to lay on. But she seems to love it none the less. I have it sitting on the end of my ironing board so she can watch the birds through the window.

And speaking of the birds... here are a few of the feathered friends we've had the last few days. I figured this would be a good way to practice with my new camera.


The blue jays are HUGE this year. Here's one of them snatching a peanut. Every morning about 7:00 they sit in my pear tree and screech until I put some peanuts out for them.





This little guy is new to my yard this year. I believe it's a chickadee (will have to get a bird book if I'm going to post pictures and sound like I know what I'm talking about!) We have two of them and they are the cutest little things.






No comments: