Friday, December 30, 2005

My throne

Every princess (even if she is only such in her own mind) needs her throne. Check mine out.
I recently received some money from my late grandfather. I have a firm belief that money from a lost loved one should not be spent lightly (at least not all of it!) This was my big "in memory" gift. A lovely, cushy glide rocker in which to spend hours and hours knitting and reading. We need to get the Christmas decorations down and move some things around so it's not sitting in the middle of the living room floor. I think it will end up in the corner by the window. I'll be able to look out in spring and see the wisteria planted by my porch (it was planted in memory of my Grannie, Papa's late wife). I imagine it won't take long for the cat's to use it for bird watching too!


This was the other gift I gave myself from Papa.

A yarn swift. Shown here unwinding the KnitPicks Sock Landscape. It is a fabulous addition to my knitting collection. So much easier than trying to drape the yarn over the back of a chair.










Here's what I'll be doing this long holiday weekend.

Yeah baby, Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting Glossary came today. I wasn't sure exactly what it would be like. I popped it in the DVD player and it's knitting demonstrations with Elizabeth and Meg! I was so excited to hear EZ teaching. As I've said before, I owe my deepest gratitude to her and her books for encouraging me (and all knitter's) to work through the learning curve and move on to be a successful knitter. I can't wait to watch the whole thing. I also have the Art of Knitting 2 DVD to finish watching. I watched the sock knit-a-long which helped me through the worsted socks very nicely.

And books on my newest fascination, soapmaking. I've been making melt and pour soups for a year now and feel it might be time to learn how to make "real" soap. I had given Chuck's aunt some of my M&P soap for Christmas. She later told me when she saw it, she got this vision of me making soap over a big kettle like some scene out of Little House on the Prairie. We both got a good laugh out of it, but it did get me thinking. I should at least make an attempt to learn how soap is made. This could open up a whole world of possibilities. Just what I need, another hobby! So far, it is very interesting reading, but it's a lot more time and money than I want to invest at the moment. But someday...We'll see.

No comments: