Thursday, December 29, 2005

Just past Christmas

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. Ours was very good. Had a long weekend off work which made it even better. Everyone liked their presents. I got lots of really nice stuff. Mom got me a gift certificate to KnitPicks (AWESOME!) which I've already spent on this and this. Also received the Boye Needlemaster set of circular needles (well, used the Christmas money I received from my mother in law to get them. That counts, right?) Haven't had a chance to use them yet do to my new obsession (see below).

And now that they have been given, I can finally post pictures of Christmas present 1 & 2.
First are mittens knit for my sister. They are from KnitPicks Andean Treasure.


I love these mittens. So soft and warm. Unfortunately, they are a bit on the long side. I was afraid of that when I knit them. Even asked on the knit list if the pattern was right. The pattern is from Weekend Knitting (the garter cuff mittens). In hindsight, I will start the top shaping about 1/2 to 3/4 inch sooner next time.








Although a bit blurry, these are mom's mittens. Knit in Bernat Denim Style using a 2 needle mitten pattern from Yankee Knitter. The snowman buttons are a cute touch.



Having bowed to the challenge of the Sockotta socks I decided to try my hand at the worsted weight sock pattern I got a while back from Knitting Pure & Simple.

Here is the first sock, having turned the heel and racing down the foot. This was on Monday. Finished it on Tuesday. I'm a few inches into sock 2 now. I think I've finally found my true sock calling. These are knit with one strand Wool Ease and one strand of Knit Picks Sock Landscape on size US 7 needles. They are very thick and warm. Just fit in my clogs. I made a mistake picking up the gusset (picked up both legs of the stitch rather than just one) so there's a bit of a ridge down the sides. Probably won't be able to wear these with closed shoes. None-the-less, I'm ecstatic at my sock success. I'm already planning my next pair. I got tons of suggestions from the helpful girls at the Socknitters group on other dk and worsted yarns to try. I'll be hitting the internet this weekend to hunt some out for sure! It seems to work pretty well stranding the sock yarn with another yarn (although next time I'll strand with dk weight to reduce the bulk a bit). So all those lovely sock yarns I bought a few months back won't go to waste!

No comments: