Monday, October 31, 2005

Trick or treat

Having no kids of my own, I get a kick out of seeing all the kids dressed up for Halloween. I love to dress up and hand out candy. (For the record, I was a hippy this year. Peace out man). Some of these parents come up with such creative and original costumes for their little ones. This year we went through all of our candy in an hour and ten minutes! A new record. Over 200 kids, most of which aren't even from this neighborhood. We live in a fairly small town. Parents from the smaller neighborhoods on the outskirts drive their kids in to trick or treat. Most kids are accompanied by their parents (which I think is a good thing). The down side is the teenagers. I've got nothing against the older kids trick or treating if they at least make an effort (you know, wear a costume, be polite). It's all about having fun, right? But tonight, we had a group of 15-16 year olds, no costumes and smoking cigarettes come to the door. At the risk of getting egg-ed I told them that trick or treating and cigarettes don't mix, maybe they were getting too old to be doing this. They just looked at me like they had no clue what I was talking about. I gave them each a piece of candy (though it griped me to do it) and shut the door. They hung out on my porch for several minutes before moving on. I'm sure they were memorizing my address so they know where to throw the eggs. Maybe I'll just skip it altogether next year.

No comments: