Thursday, September 08, 2005

Slow go socks

Not much to blog about. I ripped the sock out shortly after my last post. It looked awfully small, so I slipped it over my foot on the needles. It was really tight. I took the needles out, just to make sure they weren't the problem, and sure enough, too small. So I frogged the whole thing and started over, using stitches to match the actual diameter of my foot (rather than 1" less as suggested in the Knitty pattern). Since I have finished reading Simple Socks, I now have two options for turning the heel. Her method of short-row heels, or the method in the Knitty pattern using a heel flap thingy. I've never done either one so I have no clue which is better (please comment if you have an opinion). Guess we'll see what kind of mood I'm in when I reach the heel. At this rate, that should be somewhere around Thanksgiving. The Angel of Slow Knitting rests upon my hands. At this small gauge (9 stitches per inch!) I seem to be going even slower. Part of the problem is I'm ribbing now, so I have to look at what I'm doing more and the constant moving the yarn front and back. Maybe the stockinette part will go faster.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Either a heel flap or a short row heel will be fine. Both are comfortable. Some women with smaller feet like the heel flap better and find a short row heel too tall for their foot.

I have big feet and like the short row heel and toe an awful lot. :)

Best of luck!
Yoshimi (Knitty)

Jen said...

PS: You can turn on a feature in comments that make people type a word before it's accepted, it cut down on my spam comments a TON.