Friday, August 12, 2005

The heat continues with another plus 90 day. Had off work today (YEAH!) Chuck and I visited the yarn store in Lebanon this morning. It's under new ownership. Now called Yarn Over Ewe. A friendly little shop stuffed to the rafters with yarn. I really didn't need anything, what with the Frisky yarn I just bought still on the needles and a batch of merino/cotton/silk blend waiting in the wings. But those socks I received the other day really have my interest sparked to try sock knitting again. So I got this...


Of course my dinky digital camera doesn't capture how cool this yarn is. It's got denim blues and light and dark pinks. The Plymouth website describes it as "bold stripe effect". They didn't have a knitted sample at the store, so I'm excited to see how it knits up. I ordered a set of the Susan Bates sock needles which should be here by the beginning of next week. I'm reading every website I can find that talks about sock knitting. Maybe this time I'll get the hang of it and actually complete a pair!

Meanwhile, I kept my plans of working on the Mad Aunts while watching James Bond last night. I finished the first repeat of the chart. Here's how it looks so far


The fuzziness obscures the cabling somewhat, but in person it is pretty neat looking. I love the drape of this fabric. Can't wait to see how it looks on. This huge gauge is such a plus. I might actually finish this sweater before losing interest and being drawn to another project.

Thanks to Donna for the advice on freezing tomatoes. I was dreading canning in this heat and she suggested just freezing them whole. I had completely forgotten mom telling me they had done this with their Roma's the other year. Donna said just stick them in a freezer bag and freeze. When you need them, run a little warm water over them and the skins should peel right off. You can't even imagine what a time saver this is. And, she says, the flavor is better than canned. Coolness all around!

2 comments:

Knitcrazy said...

Oh This is GREAT news !!!
I was just trying to think of what to do with all my tomatoes... freezing them whole.. Now thats a timesaver!!! Thanks !!

Nyxxie said...

I just love that sock yarn!